Advertisement

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

trick to change Kindle and enjoy the reading experience

Today I would like to show you some trick about kindle. If you don't have one Get your best Kindle here
I recently read the novel "The Pillars of the Earth" and discovered a new trick - on the Kindle, Amazon's digital book reader.

It's something entirely basic and simple in the digital world, but readers have had no easy way to do this, to date, with print-based works. Any e-book reader worth its salt should be able to do it.
"Pillars," if you don't know it, is a huge bestseller from Ken Follett, who otherwise is known for adventure novels - "Code Zero" and that sort of thing. This book is set in 12th century England and involves the building of a Gothic cathedral. The paperback was making the rounds in my office, and I had just bought the Kindle and thought I'd try it out.
And the book - well, I'll say it's a fun story, and the characters are vividly drawn. Fine literature it is not, but that's not what Follett is promising, so fair enough.
On the other hand, with all respect to Mr. Follett, where was the editor who smooths out the text? I empathize with Follett, filling up 400,000 words - you're bound to tap out a cliche or a bad metaphor here or there - and that's why one needs an editor. I couldn't detect one in this book.
The phrase that got me was like a stone in my shoe - noticeable at first, then irritating, then prompting outbursts.
It was "his heart in his mouth."
This is how Follett described a character who was nervous or anxious or frightened. It's not the most refined metaphor to begin with, but there it was - and then a few pages later, someone else's heart was in his mouth - and then, next chapter, another heart in another mouth - and again - more hearts, more mouths - until I finally finished the book and thought, just how many times did Follett use that ONE metaphor in a single book?
Which brings me back to the Kindle.
Digital technology changes the experience of reading books. What might otherwise have taken hours, to scour the text for an irritating phrase, now takes just a few seconds.
And the answer is: 13. Actually 17, if you count the four instances of "her heart in her mouth." (It seems that men are, on the whole, a lot hungrier for coronary snacks.)
The Kindle takes nice screenshots, and here's a representative one of the search results page, for a "heart in his mouth" search:
I don't mean to pick on Ken Follett - he wrote a fun book that's obviously very popular. My point is that the Kindle makes it harder for authors to get away with using a crutch.
And Follett is far from the only author guilty of the practice. A few years ago, before the Kindle, I read a Pulitzer-prize-winning book that had a cliche - the SAME cliche - on almost every other page. I'd reveal it, but I can't yet do the trick to prove my point; it's not digitized for the Kindle. (Yet.)
The question is, will these digital advances force novelists to change their writing style? I can't wait to see. My heart is in... well, you know.
finally after get some tips please don't forget to check out our Kindle store

No comments:

Post a Comment